Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My Initial Diagnosis of Parkinson's

In August of 2007 I was walking my normal four miles on the treadmill at the YMCA. I would walk these four miles in less than fifty minutes. This was a fairly brisk pace for a 68 year old.  As I was completing the third mile my right leg totally collapsed, my arms weakened, I had never felt so helpless. I thought I was having some kind of a stroke even though I didn't have any chest pains.

After resting for a few minutes while remaining on the treadmill, I took my first step. I stepped off the treadmill and slowly walked down to the lobby where I sat in a very comfortable chair for about 30 minutes. I then made my way to the parking lot, to my car, and very carefully, I drove home. I soon found myself walking normally as if nothing had happened. Two days later as I was walking to the entrance of the library it happened again. This time I lost control of both legs and fell to the ground. After a few minutes I felt all right and drove home. The next time it happened after I had driven 100 miles and got out of my car and I could hardly walk. I couldn't take more than a half step at a time and it was very painful. I knew there was something seriously wrong with me.

The next day I got an emergency consult with a Neurologist and was soon diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. I didn't take this news very well since I have been an alcoholic most of my life. Eventually the medication forced me to give up alcohol. This was something I never would have done on my own. I was now 69 years old and pretty well set in my ways. When I stopped drinking  head became much clearer and my sleeping habits changed drastically. I could not sleep night. I soon discovered that I had a secret hidden talent for writing. I began sitting at the dining room table with a pen in my hand during the early morning hours and words seemed to pour out of me. I have done an awful lot of writing these past three years. I have written over thirty short stories, most of them inspirational stories about family and friends. It seems that Parkinson's has brought quite a change in my life including the realization, the belief and the acceptance of my God.  Yes, the incurrance of Parkinson's Disease has turned out to be a blessing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment