Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Introduction

It is now 10:00PM on the 6th of June.  I just returned from our Creative Writing Club session which we have the first Monday of each month.  Our Co-Chairman and my good friend Pamela Frucci gave us our assignment for our next meeting.  That would be to write a story about congratulating a Graduate.  I do not see any connection between tghat subject and of my story "Living with Parkinson's.
About three years ago when I began writing on of my first stories was about how all persons and all things are connected in one way or another.  I will guarantee I will make that connection.  I finished writing, typing and copying "Living with Parkinson's" this past Saturday and will not be making any changes to it.
At our meeting Pamela also gave me an article from a magazine titled "The Fieldston  2010 Commencement Address" by Michael J. Fox.  I was a High School drop-out.  So was Michael J. Fox.  I quit High School in the 12th grade.  So did Michael J. Fox.  I have Parkinson's Disease. So does Michael J. Fox.  Do the similarities ever end?  Not yet.  I find myself his mirror-image as I quote Michael J. Fox "Parkinson's is a perfect metaphor for the lack of control.  Every unwanted movement in my hand or are, every twitch that I cannot anticipate or arrest reminds me that even in the domain of my own being I am not calling the shots with no escape from the disease, it's symptoms and it's challenges.  I was forced to resort to acceptance.  My happiness grows in direct proportion to my acceptance and in inverse proportion to my expectation."  Very powerful words.  I would love t5o be able to read to Michael J. Fox the story you are about to read, which entails my first four years with Parkinson's.
Before I go there I must complete my assignment.  How would I congratulate a graduate?  How aqbout if I say congratulations and just hand out a twenty or fifty dollar bill?  Then we could get on with my story.  I really couldn't do that since I vowed to and I will make that connection that I spoke of earlier.
Sorry Pam, that last paragraph is not meant as disrespect in any way, it was just for a change of pace.  I do intend to get serious once again.  How would I congratulate a graduate?  I would look deeply into that graduating class.  I wouldn't have to look too deep as they are easy to spot.  The physically handicapped graduate with an obvious disability.  The grossly overweight female, the grossly overweight male.  These are the one's who didn't enjoy school.  They were not popular as most of the others were.  They didn't experience boy friends or girl friends or many friends in general.  There are usually one, two or more of them in most classes.
It isn't like it was back in my day.  My reasons were not of physical disability but there were reasons enough.  The day I turned 17 I just walked out.  These kids are graduating.  I would approach them, salute them, shake their hand and tell them you've made it this far kid and as Michael J. Fox said and I totally agree "Your happiness will grow in direct proportion of your acceptance." After wiping the tear from my eye I would further say if you approach a stumbling block, go around it, go over it, go through it but somehow get by it.  If it is something as simple as a single word, then turn the page and read my story and see what I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment